Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Lagunitas Lumpy Gravy (American Brown Ale)


Seems like I've been reviewing a lot of beers lately. I guess I've been on kind of a beer kick, but I'm sure I'll get back around to cocktail recipes and such soon enough.

Being a huge Frank Zappa fan, I had to buy a bottle of this beer. According to the label, it was "released in celebration of the 40th anniversary of the release of [Lumpy Gravy]." The bottle is HUGE (1 pint + 6oz) and features the cover art from Zappa's "Lumpy Gravy" album. It pours dark reddish-brown with a thick, creamy head that is followed by an incredibly rich and creamy texture in the mouth. The flavor is very nice, with a good balance of malt and hop flavors and a slightly chocolatey finish. Very good beer, and a fitting tribute to Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.

No comments: