Sunday, April 27, 2008

Three Floyds Alpha King (American Pale Ale) + Dark Lord Day (or not)


This year I attempted to attend Three Floyds Brewery's annual Dark Lord day, the only day of the year to buy their Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout, widely considered to be one of the best beers in the world. I guess I didn't do enough research beforehand. Apparently this is the kind of event that one must "camp out" at in order to have a chance of getting some of the beer without waiting in an enormous line (think Best Buy on a game console release day x 5). Needless to say, I didn't get a chance to get any. However, I did pick up some of their Alpha King American Pale ale.

This beer is a golden brown color with a small head and moderate amount of carbonation. It is heavy on the hop flavors, which shine through deliciously with notes of citrus fruit (I thought grapefruit) and florals, balanced by a malty finish. It's slightly sweet and goes down very smooth. Like all of Three Floyds' beers, this one is a definite winner. If you can find a bar or liquor store near you that carries Three Floyds, snatch it up because it won't last long.

No comments: