Monday, April 21, 2008

Infusing Vodka

Last week I decided to try my hand at infusing some of the large amount of vodka I was looking to be rid of. I prefer earthier/spicier flavors to sweet and fruity flavors, so I decided to try chili pepper and ginger (separately, of course). From what I had read, the best way to do this was to simply put the desired flavoring ingredient directly into a sealed jar with the vodka and let it sit in a cool dark place for a few days, which is exactly what I did. When it was ready, I poured the contents of each jar through a coffee filter to remove all the sediment and chunks of chili pepper or ginger. They each turned out quite nicely. The chili pepper one is extremely spicy, and so far I've only tried it in a hot bloody mary, but I want to try making a spicy martini sometime soon. The ginger vodka is very good, and I've created a drink based on the Moscow Mule that I think suits it very nicely. The recipe is posted following this post.

No comments: