Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout


After my failure at Three Floyds' Dark Lord Day, I wanted to try at least one imperial stout, if not Dark Lord. I bought this one at Piccadilly with a few other beers. This is an incredibly dark black beer - only a little bit of light leaks around the edges. It has a nice light brown head, too, making it look like it might taste like coffee or chocolate - which, in fact, it does.

The aroma is like bananas mixed with coffee, and the flavor is rich, creamy, and dark with chocolate, coffee, and light fruit. The finish is short, but satisfying. A good beer, sweet enough (for a beer) to drink for dessert.

One thing I really like about good stouts is that they have nice chocolate notes that aren't artificial. I once tried Young's Double Chocolate Stout, brewed with chocolate IN the beer, and I cannot recommend it. I don't think the flavors between the roasted malts and chocolate mixed well, and it was a bit too sweet for my tastes.

2 comments:

Paige said...

I had Young's double chocolate stout for the first time last night, and for the extra opinion, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

And also for the sake of not posting twice in one day, I had the Chateau Musar at Carmon's on my birthday, getting the same story from the owner. I really liked it-- he told me he bought it at the Picadilly on First and Healey, but I have yet to go see if it's still there.

Dynamite D said...

Thanks for the input again Paige! Glad to know I have at least one consistent reader.

I may give the chocolate stout another try. I guess my only gripe with it is that it's too much chocolate and not enough roasted malt. It seemed like the actual beer flavors were an afterthought to me, since good roasted malts often produce natural chocolate flavors.

How do you like Carmon's? It's probably my new favorite joint in town - great bar, good food, friendly people. I eat lunch there about once a week.